Monday, March 12, 2007

A beautiful transformation

My boyfriend and I have started reading through the book of Joshua together and all though i may not be far along in our studies i must say i have benefited greatly through the experience.

I was reading Joshua chapter 2 the other night and the story of Rahab. I must admit the story of Rahab intrigues me.

I've heard plenty of sermons on Rahab and her faith and how many scholars believe Rahab to be a prostitute and that is why the Israelite spies went to her. I've also heard sermons preached on why many scholars believe that Rahab was trying to get out of the life of a prostitute, but what fascinates me most about Rahab's story beyond the linen she was hiding on her roof is what she had to say to the Israelite men after she hid them from the guards.

Verses 9-11 say " I know that the LORD has given you the land, that the terror of you has fallen on us, and that all the inhabitants of the land are fainthearted because of you. For we have heard how the LORD dried up the water of the Red Sea for you when you came out of Egypt, and what you did to the two kings of the Amorites who were on the other side of the Jordan, Sihon and Og, whom you utterly destroyed. And as soon as we heard these things our hearts melted; neither did there remain any more courage in anyone because of you, for the LORD your God, He is God in heaven above and on earth beneath...."

In that last verse in that last phrase Rahab expresses her own faith in the God of the Israelites...

I've heard many people question whether or not Rahab was sinning in lying to those guards but i think Rahab knew she would be sinning against the God of the Israelites if she would have turned them over to the city. By that last phrase i think rahab realized that it would be far better to lie to the guards than to sin against the God that enabled the Israelites to destroy all that stood against them. I think Rahab really understood the phrase "the fear of the Lord" but it was more than just fear that drove Rahab to hide the Israelites it was her faith that the LORD was exactly who he claimed to be...GOD.

I often think of the times that i run away from my adversaries, where i choose to hide my fears and my problems from those around me and how that isn't living in Faith, nor is it living by faith...Rahab acted in Faith...she made a decision of Faith that ultimately saved her life...had the guards found out that Rahab had lied her life would very well be endangered...she risked herself because she had faith...

I often wonder what areas of life i need to take a risk in, what areas i need to walk out in Faith and say and believe that the "LORD is the God of heaven above and on earth below"

This passage challenges me not to hide from my fears, not to run away from my adversaries but it also challenges me to by faith walk this journey of life with others, to align myself with the right allies, to go to people and turn to people in my weakest and darkest time and ask them for help. To ask them for prayer, to ask them for love and to have the faith that they will love and help me despite whatever sin i may have committed.

Whether or not Rahab was getting out of prostitution or still laying in it when the Israelites came to her she underwent a beautiful transformation of Faith...and wasn't afraid too stand by it when that knock came at the door.

I hope that i will continue to stand with faith whatever adversaries life may throw at me and i hope to continually find others standing with me to and helping to strengthen me but even when they aren't there and i find just myself standing alone i hope that I will continue to stand no matter what the odds may be, no matter how difficult the circumstance I want to find myself saying and proclaiming...

''The LORD your GOD, HE is God in heaven above and on earth below."

4 comments:

Carl said...

I think you are right on about this pasage. After all of the commands to Joshua to be strong and courageous, God describes the courage and faith of a sinful woman. (For everybody elses info, women are typically portrayed better in the Bible than Men. At very least, the many postive examples cannot be denied.)

Her sin is very clear and very difficult to wrestle with from an abstract/ethical point of view. Not simply because she lied but because she also slept with the spies. (Not mentioning the fact that they slept with her) It is not expiclicity stated but the Hebrew clearly and carefully implies they "went into her", which is a Hebrew euphimism for sex.

Yet in God's grace, this woman made a covenant with a people whom God had covenanted with because of her faith in the Only True God. Her faith saved her from sure death.

Carl said...

On a theological note, notice that her faith and confession came before "salvation." I'm not sure how much weight I want to place on that but...any thoughts.

Carl said...

Observational note:
Joshua learned from the last time the spies were sent out; he didn't send a "commitee" of 12 to spy out the land. He sent two. Sore spot perhaps??

Carl said...

Observational note #2:

This oath/covenant made between Rahab and Israel should be compared and contrasted with the one made in chapter 9 between the Gibeonites and the Elders.