Thursday, June 12, 2008

The Purpose of Work

Purpose



I haven't read Don't Waste Your Life but I'd like to. God has seemed to hand be bushel full of questions on purpose, focus, and leadership. The questions spur from what I feel like as a vigourously entropic life. I am often busy sometimes vigourously so but with no lasting product, fruit for the wind.



Perhaps this is part of the curse, that work would be hard, yeilding fruit with great difficulty. Straining after "success" from the ground, the man finds himself digging a hole in which he is to be buried. It's no wonder the Bible shows, and "civilization" for that matter, the tendancy for man to flee from the land, escaping into the strong arms of the city or seductive embrace of technology.



But "you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain. (1 Cor. 15:58)"

In my prayers and meditations I was struck with the distinctive glory that God administrates to be displayed in the worklife of a believer. He gives everything a person needs to not just work but be a leader in work. He gives a purpose; He gives a calling for sincere full hearted work; He enables us with everything we need; and He gives a reward! But I will have to elaborate on that more next time.

No comments: